Thursday 7 March 2019 is World Book Day and mums across the UK will either be smug in that they are all sorted for the dressing up “thing” tomorrow or be in a state of last minute panic! If you fall into the latter category.. panic not! For here are some simple solutions, book titles attached.. to solve the immediate problem. The Pyjama House guide to easy World Book Day costumes!
Book characters that wear pyjamas
Click HereTo see more Pyjamas and Nighties from The Pyjama House
The obvious suggestion from our point of view .. just let them wear their PJs and have a very easy bed-to-school transition into the bargain!
- Tom – Tom’s Midnight Garden by Phillippa Pearce
- One of the Lost Boys – Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
- Sophie – BFG by Roald Dahl
- ‘Boy’ – The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
- Boy – The Snowman by Jo Nesbo
- Wendy – Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
Repurposed fancy dress costumes
Why not try re-using something from another fancy dress party, or last year’s Halloween costume?
- Charlotte the Spider – Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
- Monster – Not Now Bernard (aka the saddest book ever) by David McKee
- Skeleton – Funnybones by Janet and Allan Ahlberg
Book characters that wear a fairy or winged costume
Almost every little girl I know has a set of fairy wings in her cupboard so out they come again.. this time with a favourite party dress or ballet kit, or.. yes, you guessed it .. their nightie again!
- The Fairy Godmother – Cinderella by Charles Perrault and Brothers Grimm
- Puck – A Midsummer Night’s Dream by Shakespeare
- Angelina Ballerina – Angelina Ballerina by Katharine Holabird and Helen Craig
- Holly Short – Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
- Tinkerbell – Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
Finally a real cop out but perfectly acceptable.. ome book characters look just like your average child. Simply add appropriate accessories to these “costumes” for a fuss-free World Book Day morning.
- Harry – Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs by Ian Whybrow
- Charlie Bucket – Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
- Sophie – Sophie’s Adventures by Dick King-Smith
Whatever they wear.. have a great World Book Day. And enjoy your bedtime reading with little ones both tonight and every night!